Plans for all new construction permits are reviewed by the City before a building permit is issued. The City's Planning Division check's a plan's setbacks, lot coverage and height and ensures the plans abide by the City's zoning code. The Engineering Department checks storm water and drainage, and erosion control. Before, during and after construction, the Building Division makes sure the plans and construction comply with City code and State building laws.
Before Construction Begins
There are a number of steps you can take to gain familiarity with the construction activities near your home, and to protect yourself in the case of any property damage.
- File a complaint regarding a residential demolition or new construction site online
- Department of Labor and Industry - Home Warranty Dispute Resolution Process
- The Office of Minnesota Attorney General - Home Building and Remodeling
- Please call the non-emergency Police line at 952-826-1600 if you are disturbed by work taking place outside of allowed construction hours
Construction Management Plan (CMP)
A Construction Management Plan (CMP) (PDF) for residential tear down projects has been implemented in response to concerns that neighbors of construction projects encounter. The CMP is intended to hold permit holders accountable for their construction sites and minimize impacts on adjacent properties. An Ordinance has been adopted by the City Council to give staff the ability to monitor and enforce the CMP.
- Permit holder hosts a neighborhood meeting for residents within 300 feet of their construction site prior to demolition.
- Signage on site is displayed for all demolition and new residential building permits providing residents with contact information for the permit holder and the City of Edina’s Construction Complaint Hotline.
- Construction hours for demolition and new residential building permits are:
- Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Saturday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Sundays and Holidays (New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas) - Construction is Prohibited. (Please note: These hours only apply to single and two-family residential demolition and new construction permits. All other construction-related projects are subject to the hours as indicated in the ordinance.)
- Permit holders are to comply with the CMP throughout the duration of their project.
- Request signage restricting parking to just one side of the street. This will limit all parking, not just construction vehicles.