Plans & Strategy
The City Council and staff develop a two-year Budget Work Plan to coincide with the operating budget. The process begins with identifying the budget objectives, which help the City with its overall strategic plans.
From the budget objectives, City staff members develop a list of actions to take to reach each objective and the overall goal. Departments are assigned as responsible for reporting progress on each action. The reports are sent to the City Council quarterly and are available for the public to view through the City's Progress Portal website.
Pages 29-30 of the Budget Book explain more about the Budget Work Plan process.
The City of Edina has four ongoing budget goals:
Maintain physical assets and infrastructure
Maintain service levels that best meet community needs
Plan for connected and sustainable development
Foster an inclusive and engaged community
The City of Edina has four budget values that guide decision-making:
We make wise investments that focus on the best long-term value for residents.
- Decisions consider the impact to future generations and balance the service, cost, and risk for the life of the investment.
- Operations, projects, and services are managed in an efficient manner.
- We use data to proactively maintain and replace assets.
- We take advantage of opportunities to increase long-term value.
- We integrate project scope and decision-making processes with related city services, and partner with stakeholders to deliver best value projects that stand the test of time.
We provide equitable opportunities for people to participate in their City government and access City institutions, facilities, and services.
- Residents have equitable access to City services and programs.
- City ordinances, policies, and procedures are equitably enforced.
- City decisions consider the impact to historically underrepresented groups.
- City government representatives, volunteers, and staff reflect the diversity of the people it serves.
- Residents have multiple options to have their voices heard, and barriers to participation are minimized.
- The City will continue to learn and adapt to the multiple needs of all in the community, while consistently applying an equity lens in all decisions and interactions.
We use a Health-in-All Policies approach (HiAP) to promote and protect the physical, mental, and social wellbeing of all people who live, work, or visit Edina.
- We recognize that an individual's health and wellbeing is more than just physical health, and is impacted by social, economic, and environmental factors.
- We recognize that health is affected by all City activity, from daily operations to policy development and implementation.
- We utilize a Health-in-All-Policies lens to evaluate and consider health impacts of City decisions and policies.
- We recognize existing disparities in health outcomes between populations and work to address those disparities.
We ensure that our policies, decisions, and plans have a positive impact on people and the planet now and for future generations.
- City infrastructure, facilities and equipment systems are designed and maintained to reduce the City’s greenhouse gas emissions and meet sustainability goals.
- Sustainable design is visibly and materially included in development and redevelopment strategies.
- We evaluate the impact of future climate and extreme weather on infrastructure systems and create or modify infrastructure to reduce risk or improve resilience.
- Edina demonstrates resiliency to a changing climate and future community needs.