The current house sits on what is believed to be the site of the original Henry F. Brown farmhouse. Brown, a Minneapolis lumber baron, established the Browndale Farm in the area. He also owned the Edina Mill for a time and is credited with advocating for the town being named "Edina."
Browndale Avenue is named for the farm and follows an old farm path.
In 1922 Samuel Thorpe purchased the Browndale Farm as a key piece of creating the Country Club District, which is now on the National Register of Historic Places.
The current English Tudor Revival home was constructed during the Great Depression. Its basement served as an early gathering space for the community. St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church was started in the basement and its first pancake breakfast was served there. The church soon moved into its own building at 4439 W. 50th St.
The first owners, the Potter family, had 10 children. Julie and Doug Baker purchased the home in 2015, becoming the sixth owners.