- 911 Center
Edina's 911 Communications Center operates 24/7 inside the Edina Police Department.
- Answers 911 and non-emergency calls for Police, Fire and EMS assistance for Edina and Richfield and dispatches help.
- Dispatches Animal Control and Public Works emergency response.
- Coordinates response efforts with other local and state agencies when needed.
- Issues emergency notifications of public safety issues.
When You Call 911...
- State the location and type of emergency
- Answer the dispatcher's questions
- Know that dispatchers are already sending help while they continue to ask questions
- Do not hang up until the dispatcher says to do so
- If the situations changes after you hang up, call back
- If you accidentally call 911, do not hang up. Stay on the line and explain you misdialed. Otherwise we must check into your call, using up resources that others may need in an emergency.
Text to 911
When should it be used?
- When the person contacting 911 cannot safely speak or make noise
- When calling might add to the problem or deter seeking help
- If the person seeking assistance is deaf, hard of hearing or has a speech impairment
- If you can safely call, call 911 and do not text. Texting simply isn't as efficient in an emergency.
How to text 911
- Enter "911" into the "To" field of a text message
- in the message, include your location and type of emergency. Do not send abbreviations (BRB, IDK, 2day, etc.), emojis, photos or slang.
- Send your message. Be ready to answer questions and follow instructions.
- If driving, call 911; do not text.
Cautions: Text to 911 may not be available everywhere or received at the appropriate dispatch center. Translation services are not immediately available.
About Our Dispatchers
Edina's 911 dispatchers are part of our public safety team. These often overlooked heroes are frequently the first point of contact in an emergency and provide assistance throughout any incident.
- Certified in CPR and Emergency Medical Dispatching
- Trained through an intense 6-month in-house course plus on-the-job training
- Knowledgeable in law enforcement, fire-rescue, medical triage, radio operations, computer technologies and Edina geography
- Calm under extreme pressure and during stressful situations
4801 W. 50th St.
Edina, MN 55424
Phone: : 952-826-1610
Emergency: Call 911
24-hour Dispatch: 952-826-1600
24 hours a day
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Meet the Team