Animal Control

The City of Edina has an Animal Control Division. To report an animal violation, call the Edina Police Non-Emergency number at 952-826-1600. If you have any questions about animal care, animal ordinances or general questions about animal related issues call the Edina Police Department at 952-826-1610.

Wild Animals

From time to time, a squirrel, raccoon, skunk, bat, or bird finds its way into a home - usually through the chimney. You can easily evict these visitors by opening doors and windows, or by renting or buying a live trap.

The Edina Animal Control officer will assist you if a raccoon or larger animal comes into the living space of your home, but you can avoid attracting these unwanted guests by asking a chimney sweep to install a cap or vent on your chimney.

Sick Animals

If you see animals exhibiting signs of distemper such as tremors, seizures, no fear of humans, lethargy, vomiting and/or runny/watery discharge from the nose and eyes, call the Edina Police Department 24/7 at 952-826-1600 to report the animal.

Deceased Animals

Any deceased animals on your property may be disposed of by bagging the remains in a plastic bag and placing it in your garbage.

Domestic Dogs & Cats

The most common animal violations involve animals running at large, noisy animals and Edina’s leash law.

  • Dogs and cats found running at large may be impounded. Owners are responsible for all impound fees. If an animal is found with a current City license on its collar, the dog may be returned to the owner instead of being impounded. All dogs over the age of six months must be licensed. Cats need not be licensed. Licenses can be purchased at City Hall, with a current rabies vaccination receipt.
  • All dogs and cats over six months of age must be vaccinated against rabies. Dogs must display a current rabies tag and license at all times. If your dog bites someone, identify yourself and tell the victim whether your dog's rabies vaccination is current. Call 9-1-1 to report all animal bites. Your dog must be quarantined for 10 days. You must report to the Police or Health department if your dog gets sick, dies or exhibits abnormal behavior during the quarantine period. After 10 days, your dog must be examined by a veterinarian and a report of this examination given to the police. If your cat bites someone, you are required to report the bite to the Police and follow the same quarantine procedure as for dogs.
  • No more than three dogs or cats over six months of age may be kept at any residence.
  • Your pet must be leashed at all times, including in City parks. An exception is in the City's off-leash dog area at Van Valkenburg Park with a current license and off-leash permit.
  • Don't leave pets in cars during warm weather. Car interiors can heat up to dangerous or even fatal temperatures in minutes.
  • You must provide adequate shelter for your pet to protect it from the cold, rain and summer sun. Always provide water and food if your pet is left outside for extended periods.


Email Animal Control Officer Tim Hunter with any questions or call 952-826-0494.