Learn to Skate
We hold year-round skating classes. Sign-up today, as they can fill up fast! Braemar Arena offers three sessions of skating lessons for beginners through advanced skaters, ages three through adult. We use the United States Figure Skating (USFS) Basic Skills and USA Hockey Learn to Skate Program to determine skating levels and our instructors are professionally accredited in both hockey and figure skating from the USFS and USA Hockey. All schedules are subject to change.
Skate School Registration Dates
- The winter session is held Jan. 9 - April 14. Check calendar for non-class dates
- Registration begins at 8 a.m. Dec. 11 for Edina residents and for non-residents on Dec. 18.
- If the class is full, you can get on a wait list through the online system.
- View a detailed class curriculum (PDF)
Adult Learn to Skate
For beginners or those adults who want to improve their skills.
Offered each season throughout the year.
Basic Skills: Levels 1 - 6 (30 Minutes)
These classes start at the beginning levels and progress to learning all the edges, crossovers and turns.
- Ages: 6 years old and up
- Basic 1 - Skater achieves sitting on ice and standing up, march forward across the ice, forward two foot glide, forward swizzles, backward swizzles and beginning snowplow stop.
- Basic 2 - Skater achieves scooter pushes, forward one foot glide, backward two foot glide, rocking horse swizzle, backwards swizzle, two foot turns and moving snowplow stop.
- Basic 3 - Skater achieves beginning forward stroking, forward half swizzle pumps on circle, moving forward and backward clockwise and counter clockwise, backward one foot glide, backward snowplow stop and forward slalom.
- Basic 4 - Skater achieves forward outside edge on a circle, forward inside edge on circle, forward crossovers, backward swizzle pumps on circle, backward one foot glide and beginning two- foot spin.
- Basic 5 - Skater achieves backward outside edge on a circle, backward inside edge on a circle, backward crossovers, forward crossovers, advanced two foot spin and hockey stop.
- Basic 6 - Skater achieves forward inside three-turn, moving backward to forward two foot turn on a circle, backward stroking, beginning one foot spin, T-stops, bunny hop and forward spiral on a straight line.
- Basic Skills classes are offered each season.
Jump & Spin Basic: Levels 3 - 8
This class is for skaters who are interested in advancing their figure skating skills. Skaters will begin learning skills to incorporate jumps and spins while developing their skating skills.
Parent/Child Class (30 Minutes)
This is a class for the young skater who is apprehensive and would like Mom or Dad on the ice with them.
- Ages: 3 - 6 years old
Snowplow Sam: Levels 1 - 3 (30 Minutes)
This is a class to teach the youngest skater to learn the basics while having fun! We offer three different levels, with Snowplow Sam 1 for the beginner.
- Ages: Age 3 through Kindergarten
- Dates: All levels available Tuesdays, Saturdays or Sundays, Jan. 9 to April 15
- Location: Braemar Arena
- Cost: $151
USA Hockey: Levels 2 - 4
- Date/Time: 1 p.m. Saturdays, Jan. 13 to April 14
- Cost: $151