Applications are due by Dec. 31 of each year.
How to Apply
- The online homestead application is designed for taxpayers living in Hennepin County to submit their secure application directly to city staff.
- Visit the Hennepin County Homestead site
- Select "apply online" and follow the steps.
In-Person by Appointment
- Complete the homestead application in-person with a staff member from assessing. Book a 30-minute appointment on Tuesdays from 1 to 4 p.m.
- Download, print and fill out the proper PDF listed at the bottom of this page.
- The following information is required:
- A completed homestead application
- Copy of the deed of ownership
- Copy of the electronic Certificate of Real Estate Value (eCRV)
- Mail the completed PDF and all required documents to:
Edina City Hall
4801 W. 50th St.
Edina, MN 55424
What Is a Homestead Classification?
Having a homestead classification means a person's property is his or her primary residence. This should be the address on your Minnesota driver's license, the address where you are registered to vote, or your primary mailing address.
Benefits of Homestead Classification
A homestead classification qualifies your property for a homestead classification rate. Owners with the classification are eligible for a market value exclusion, which may reduce the property’s taxable market value. Homestead properties may qualify for other programs such as the disabled veteran’s market value exclusion, senior citizen’s property tax deferral, and Minnesota Department of Revenue property tax refunds.
Moving or Selling Property
If you move or at any time your property is sold or you change primary residence, State law requires you to notify the City Assessor's Office within 30 days.
- Regular Homestead Application (PDF) If you are unsure which homestead applications to use choose the regular application. Properties purchased for a qualifying relative to occupy use the regular application.
- Homestead application for first-time buyers required to have a cosigner for financing (PDF)
- Homestead application for properties purchased by a trust (PDF)
- Submission form for notice of move (PDF)
If you are unsure which homestead applications to use, choose the regular application.