What is a Comprehensive Plan?
Communities evolve and the best ones have a long-term plan to light the way. In local government, the ultimate torch is the Comprehensive Plan, which guides development and redevelopment and addresses changes likely to occur due to various social and market forces.
The Comprehensive Plan is meant to provide Edina with an outline for future development. The Metropolitan Council requires every city in the seven-county metro area to have such a plan and State law requires that it be updated every 10 years. Edina’s Plan includes chapters on land use, transportation, wastewater, water supply, storm water management, housing and parks and recreation.
About Edina's Current Plan
The City Council formally adopted the 2018 Comprehensive Plan on Aug. 18, 2020, and it is now in effect.
The adoption was the culmination of work involving residents, businesspeople and City staff that began in 2016. Hundreds of public meetings and multiple rounds of public comment were conducted. The Metropolitan Council approved the plan in summer 2020.
Read the Plan
The entire 2018 Comprehensive Plan Update is more than 4,600 pages long.
- Letter: Edina 2040 CPU Incomplete for Review Jan 2020 (PDF)
- Letter: Edina 2040 CPU Incomplete for Review March 2020 (PDF)
- Letter: Edina 2040 CPU Complete for Review April 2020 (PDF)
- Met Council Incomplete Items Comment Tracker (PDF)
- Met Council Committee Report June 2020 (PDF)
- Letter: Edina 2040 CPU Accepted - Post Council Action June 2020 (PDF)
How We Got Here
The process to create the 2018 Comprehensive Plan Update has been going on since 2016. It’s involved hundreds of public meetings, special community-member-led groups and multiple rounds of public comment/input.
Better Together Edina has an excellent summary, presentations, timeline and more.
Listed below are related documents and meeting materials from the process.
Comprehensive Plan Resources
- Responses to Comments Submitted to the PC on 11-13-2019 and City Council Correspondence (PDF)
- October 2019 Comprehensive Plan REDLINE (PDF)
- October 2019 Comprehensive Plan Draft (PDF)
- Draft Comprehensive Plan 5-8-2019 (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan Comment Report 5-8-2019 (PDF)
- City of Edina Comprehensive Plan 2008 (PDF)
- Amendments to the 2008 Comprehensive Plan (DOCX)
- Comprehensive Plan Schedule (Subject to Change) (PDF)
- Met Council System Statement - Edina (PDF)