Edina, Minn., Nov. 10, 2021 – The City of Edina is joining forces with the communities of Bloomington and Richfield this winter to make something beautiful. Mimicking a similar international competition, the three cities are hosting a contest for design of an organics recycling poster, with cash prizes available to top entries.
“We’re excited to offer this fun and creative way for people of all ages to exhibit their passion for taking care of our planet,” said Organics Recycling Coordinator Twila Singh. “I’m eager to see what inspires our residents, and for the showcase of talent. I have no doubt that Edinans will have the best posters!”
Four categories based on age groups make up the contest, with each city awarding prizes available to elementary school, middle school, high school and adult (age 18+) age groups. Each category will award $100 to the winner and $50 each to two runners up. Prize money is paid for via grant funds from Hennepin County. The theme of the contest is “Return to Earth: A Compost Story.”
Winners’ artwork will be displayed virtually on City websites and social media channels during International Composting Week in May 2022, with potential opportunities for in-person display as the pandemic allows. In Edina, the winning artwork will also be used as wraps on utility boxes throughout the city.
Only one entry is allowed per person, with entries submitted online at EdinaMN.gov/OrganicsPosterContest by Feb. 1, 2022. A full list of contest rules and regulations is listed below:
- Artist statement: must include city of residence and school name and grade (where applicable). The statement should be no more than two paragraphs in length.
- Minors will need permission from a parent or guardian and their contact information to enter.
- Artwork should be 12 inches wide by 18 inches tall.
- Artwork should be submitted as a JPEG with a resolution of 300 dpi.
- Artwork should contain the theme title, “Return to Earth: A Compost Story”
- Artwork should include the hashtag #EdinaRecycles. The hashtag will be attached to all social media posts containing the artwork, too.
- Upon submission, the artist agrees to the City’s Submitted Artwork Policy and the City and artist have equal shared rights to artwork.
For more information on Edina’s organics recycling program, visit EdinaMN.gov/OrganicsRecycling or contact Singh at 952-826-1657 or via e-mail, TSingh@EdinaMN.gov.