Edina, Minn., April 27, 2022 – After more than 150 hours of training and preparation, the Edina/Eden Prairie Explorer Post 925 competed against peers from Minnesota, North Dakota and New York in the 47th-annual Explorer Conference in Rochester, Minnesota. Post 925 brought home 15 awards in the competition.
“The Explorers program has been the beginning of numerous successful law enforcement careers,” said Edina Detective Nicole Frederick, who coordinates the program. “After hundreds of hours in preparation, three teams from the Post traveled to Rochester and competed in a variety of scenarios.”
They took home a total of 15 team and individual awards:
• 1st place in Crime Scene Search
• 2nd place in Burglary Response
• 2nd and 5th place in First Aid
• 3rd place in the DWI academic session
• 3rd place in the Introduction to Narcotics academic session
• 4th place in Domestics
• 4th place in Traffic Stop
• 5th place in Hostage
• 5th place in Interview and Interrogation
• 5th place in Arrest and Search
• Explorer Alyssa Wood -- 3rd place in DWI
• Explorer Diego Jennings -- 2nd place in DWI
• Explorer Joshua John -- 2nd place in timed fire shoot
• Explorer Diego Jennings – 2nd place in rapid fire shoot
In 2020-2021, the Explorers adapted to and overcame the limitations created by the COVID-19 pandemic. While the world shut down, the Edina/Eden Prairie Explorers stayed united and focused on their goals of continuing to learn together and providing excellent service to their communities. Some meetings were held virtually, providing an opportunity for the Explorers to generate new ideas for fun learning, including interactive training and team-building exercises.
The Explorer program provides educational training for young adults on the purposes, mission and objectives of law enforcement. The program provides career orientation experiences, leadership opportunities and community service activities. The primary goals of the program are to help young adults choose a career path within law enforcement and to challenge them to become responsible members of their communities.
For more information on the Explorers, visit www.EdinaMN.gov/1096/Police-Department-Volunteer-Opportunitie.