Editor's Note: This press release was originally released by the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office.
September 16, 2019 (MINNEAPOLIS) – The Edina and Richfield police officers involved in a fatal incident in Richfield on September 7, 2019 have been identified now that interviews with all officers have been completed.
The incident involved the following officers from the Edina and Richfield Police Departments:
- Officer Nicholas Pedersen, a four-year veteran of the Edina Police Department
- Officer Benjamin Wenande, a four-year veteran of the Edina Police Department
- Officer Joseph Carroll, a four-year veteran of the Richfield Police Department
- Officer Dylan Schultz, a three-year veteran of the Richfield Police Department
- Officer Macabe Stariha, a two-year veteran of the Richfield Police Department
All five officers have been placed on standard paid administrative leave.
The Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the incident at the request of the Edina and Richfield police departments. The investigation is active and ongoing. Once the Sheriff’s Office investigation is complete, it will turn its findings over to the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office for review.