How do I get in touch with another utility company?

Other utilities not provided by the City include:

  • Cable Television: Comcast/Xfinity is currently the only company that provides cable services in Edina. To arrange for service or report a problem, call Comcast at 612-522-2000.
  • Electricity: Contact Xcel Energy  at 800-895-4999.
  • Gas: Call CenterPoint Energy at 612-372-4727.
  • Telephone: CenturyLink provides basic telephone services in Edina. To arrange for residential service, call 866-963-6665. To report a problem with your home telephone service, call 877-837-5738.

Show All Answers

1. Why is my water usage increasing?
2. How often am I billed?
3. Is water billed by the quantity used?
4. I just bought a house in Edina and have received an outstanding water bill. Do I have to pay this bill if I didn’t use the water?
5. Why did I receive a late fee / returned payment fee?
6. How do I get in touch with another utility company?
7. What if I have further questions?
8. My building is required to comply with Edina’s Efficient Buildings Ordinance. How do I get my building’s prior year water use from the City so I can enter it into Energy Star Portfolio Manager?
9. Can I receive a bill adjustment for filling a hockey rink?