Where can I build a shed on my property?

A shed constructed in the rear yard entirely behind the house is required to maintain a 3-foot side yard and 3-foot rear yard setback, including any overhang.*

A shed located in a side yard is required to maintain a 5-foot side yard setback.*

If you have a corner lot please contact the Planning Division at 952-826-0369 for further information.*

Sheds count towards the total building coverage for the lot. 

*In all the above cases if a shed is larger than 200 square feet a building permit is required.  You can contact the Building Inspections Division for further information at 952-826-0372 .

Show All Answers

1. How do I comment on a current project proposal?
2. Are group homes allowed in Edina?
3. How do I request a zoning verification letter?
4. Does the City allow vacation rental by owners?
5. How do I locate my corner property irons?
6. How do I find what a property is zoned?
7. What regulations apply to fences?
8. Where can I place a driveway on my property?
9. Where can I build a shed on my property?
10. Where can I park/store recreational vehicles, boats, ATVs, snowmobiles, etc.?
11. When does the Planning Commission meet?
12. Does the City require a renter's license?
13. Does the City allow pool rental by owners?