Who do I call for problems with my water and sewer service?

Please call Public Works directly at 952-826-0375 to report water/sewer problems. 

Their regular office hours are 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

To report a water or sewer emergency outside of regular office hours, please call the City Dispatcher at 952-826-1600 for after-hours water/sewer emergencies.

Show All Answers

1. When can I expect my street to be swept?
2. I've noticed colored flags in my yard. What do they mean?
3. When will my fire hydrant be flushed?
4. Who do I call for problems with my water and sewer service?
5. I need a dumpster on my property. What are my options?
6. There is a pothole on my street. When will it be fixed?
7. My water bill seems high this month. Why has it increased?
8. I’m moving and need a POD/ storage unit. Can I store it on the street?
9. When will the street be completely fixed after a winter water break?
10. A plow hit and damaged my mailbox. Who is going to fix it?
11. Who fixes my sod or irrigation system if it gets damaged by a plow?
12. I have yard debris from a storm. Will the City pick it up?
13. My yard waste was not picked up. Why?
14. Fall is almost over. When will my snow stakes be installed?
15. When will my street be plowed after a snow storm?
16. A snow plow just left my street. Why is there a pile of snow at the end of my driveway?