Construction activities within the City of Edina are regulated by the Edina City Code and Minnesota State Building Code. The following permits may be required for your project:
• Building Permit: Required for any construction, alteration, repair, relocation, enlargement, demolition or change of use or occupancy to any building or structure regulated by the state building code. This includes building additions, decks, sheds more than 200 square feet, work to a permanent weather resistive surface (siding, roofing, windows) and finishing of previously unfinished spaces.
• Plumbing Permit: Required for the installation, alteration, repair or extension of any plumbing system or individual sewage disposal system. This includes the installation or replacement of a fixture, water heater, water softener, a backflow preventer for a lawn irrigation system and any other activity as required by the building official or plumbing inspector.
• Mechanical Permit: Required for the installation, alteration, repair or extension of any heating, ventilation or exhaust system, refrigeration unit, air conditioning unit, manufactured gas or wood fireplaces and stoves, manufactured chimney and venting systems, hot water, low pressure steam equipment or other mechanical equipment as required by the building official or mechanical inspector.
• Sewer/Water Permit: Required for any connection, disconnection, modification or repair to a sanitary sewer or water service distribution system.
• Electrical Permit: Required for any installation, alteration, repair or extension of electrical work for light, heat, power and any other activity as required by the building official or electrical inspector. All electrical permits are issued by the State of Minnesota. For more questions, please call 763-205-5015.
• Grading Permit: Required for any disturbance of more than 2,500 square feet of soil or exceeds more than ten cubic yards of cut or fill. For more information see the Stormwater for Single-Double Dwelling Units (PDF). For questions, please call 952-826-0371.
Permits for new or existing structures will be issued to homeowners who homestead the property or contractors licensed by the State of Minnesota. The exception to this rule is mechanical and plumbing work. In both new and existing structures, mechanical and plumbing permits will only be issued to contractors licensed by the City of Edina when the owner does not reside in the home.
Please contact the Building Inspections Division at 952-826-0372 for more specific information or with specific questions about your project.