How do I apply for a permit to purchase a gun or report a firearm transfer?

For Purchases

An application for a permit to purchase a firearm must be completed in person at the Edina Police Department office at City Hall, 4801 W. 50th St. Hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays except City holidays.  

You must be an Edina resident. Residents of other cities/jurisdictions should contact their respective agencies for the process where they live.

You may fill out the application in advance (see this PDF from the Department of Public Safety) but DO NOT SIGN IT. You must sign it in person at the Police Department and show proper identification. 

For Transfers

The completed transfer form (see above link) for a weapon can be submitted in the following ways:

  • Drop off at The Edina Police Department office at City Hall 
  • Mail to Edina Police Department, 4801 W. 50th St., Edina, MN 55424
  • Fax to 952-826-1607

Show All Answers

1. What do I do if I see someone panhandling?
2. How can I get fingerprinted?
3. Does the City have an alarm policy?
4. Do you allow soliciting in Edina?
5. If I’m in a car accident, do I need to call the police?
6. I received a citation. How do I pay it or contest it?
7. How can I get a copy of a police or accident report?
8. Is there a curfew for juveniles in Edina?
9. How do I get property back or contact the lost and found?
10. I want to thank an officer or Police staff member. How do I do that?
11. Can I file a complaint online against a police officer or other Edina Police Department member?
12. How do I apply for a permit to purchase a gun or report a firearm transfer?
13. How do I properly dispose of medication?
14. Are there any predatory offenders in the community, and where do they live?
15. Where can I report elder abuse?
16. Where can I get help for domestic abuse?
17. May I park on the street in the winter?
18. How can I make a donation to help prevent crime in Edina?