Show All Answers
Construction activities within the City of Edina are regulated by the Edina City Code and Minnesota State Building Code. The following permits may be required for your project:
• Building Permit: Required for any construction, alteration, repair, relocation, enlargement, demolition or change of use or occupancy to any building or structure regulated by the state building code. This includes building additions, decks, sheds more than 200 square feet, work to a permanent weather resistive surface (siding, roofing, windows) and finishing of previously unfinished spaces.
• Plumbing Permit: Required for the installation, alteration, repair or extension of any plumbing system or individual sewage disposal system. This includes the installation or replacement of a fixture, water heater, water softener, a backflow preventer for a lawn irrigation system and any other activity as required by the building official or plumbing inspector.
• Mechanical Permit: Required for the installation, alteration, repair or extension of any heating, ventilation or exhaust system, refrigeration unit, air conditioning unit, manufactured gas or wood fireplaces and stoves, manufactured chimney and venting systems, hot water, low pressure steam equipment or other mechanical equipment as required by the building official or mechanical inspector.
• Sewer/Water Permit: Required for any connection, disconnection, modification or repair to a sanitary sewer or water service distribution system.
• Electrical Permit: Required for any installation, alteration, repair or extension of electrical work for light, heat, power and any other activity as required by the building official or electrical inspector. All electrical permits are issued by the State of Minnesota. For more questions, please call 763-205-5015.
Permits for new or existing structures will be issued to home owners who homestead the property or contractors licensed by the State of Minnesota. The exception to this rule is mechanical and plumbing work. In both new and existing structures, mechanical and plumbing permits will only be issued to contractors licensed by the City of Edina when the owner does not reside in the home.
Please contact the Building Inspections Division at 952-826-0372 for more specific information or with specific questions about your project.
The City of Edina uses electronic permit application submission and plan review processes.
Construction activities within the City of Edina are regulated by Edina City Code and the Minnesota State Building Code. Under these codes, it is the responsibility of the permit holder to schedule all required inspections, provide access to the area that must be inspected and provide a means for completion of the inspection.
Contact the building inspections division Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m. at 952-826-0372. Please have the permit number ready when calling.
The permit review timeline is dependent on several factors, including the number of permits under review at any given time and the completeness of those permit applications. We strive to meet the general rule of thumb of 5 to 10 business days for residential permits and 15 business days for commercial permits.
No. Beginning work without a permit is a violation of state law. The city will fine a property owner or contractor who begins work without first obtaining a permit.
There is a permit fee estimator located on our City website at:
Estimate Permit Fees
Please send your RPZ/PVB report to Inspections@edinamn.gov along with a good phone number to contact you.
We will setup the permit for you and then call for payment. The cost is $34.25 per report in 2021.
For demolition and construction of a new single family home: Deliveries of equipment and material to the site, work crews on site and construction and demolition activity are prohibited except between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, and 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. on Saturday. Work is prohibited on Sundays and holidays (New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas). Edina City Code Chapter 10, Article IV
For all other construction-related projects: No person shall engage in or permit construction and repair activities involving the use of any kind of electric, diesel or gas-powered motor vehicles or machine or other power equipment, audible beyond the property line of the property where the activity is occurring, except:
For projects requiring a building permit with a building project value of $50,000.00 or less:
Monday—Friday, 7:00 a.m.—7:00 p.m.Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays (New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas), 9:00 a.m.—5:00 p.m.
For projects requiring a building permit with a building project value of more than $50,000.00:
Monday—Friday, 7:00 a.m.—7:00 p.m. Saturdays, 9:00 a.m.—5:00 p.m.Sundays and Holidays (New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas), no work
Edina City Code Chapter 23, Article II, Division 5, Sec. 23-124
The City recommends that if a neighbor is disrupted by construction noise outside of allowable hours, contact the Edina Police Department's non-emergency line at 952-826-1600.
You can search for permits on a site address by going to:
Search for Permits
A permit will be considered expired if there has been no work or inspection done in 180 days. The Chief Building Official is authorized to grant extension of time if there is justifiable cause demonstrated.
View the 50th & France District Construction Dumpster Regulation information.
Does my dock need a permit?
The City does not issue permits for docks.
The DNR does not require a permit to install, construct, or reconstruct a dock on shoreline property you own if you comply with this DNR guidance.