Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
Show All Answers
Construction activities within the City of Edina are regulated by the Edina City Code and Minnesota State Building Code. The following permits may be required for your project:
• Building Permit: Required for any construction, alteration, repair, relocation, enlargement, demolition or change of use or occupancy to any building or structure regulated by the state building code. This includes building additions, decks, sheds more than 200 square feet, work to a permanent weather resistive surface (siding, roofing, windows) and finishing of previously unfinished spaces.
• Plumbing Permit: Required for the installation, alteration, repair or extension of any plumbing system or individual sewage disposal system. This includes the installation or replacement of a fixture, water heater, water softener, a backflow preventer for a lawn irrigation system and any other activity as required by the building official or plumbing inspector.
• Mechanical Permit: Required for the installation, alteration, repair or extension of any heating, ventilation or exhaust system, refrigeration unit, air conditioning unit, manufactured gas or wood fireplaces and stoves, manufactured chimney and venting systems, hot water, low pressure steam equipment or other mechanical equipment as required by the building official or mechanical inspector.
• Sewer/Water Permit: Required for any connection, disconnection, modification or repair to a sanitary sewer or water service distribution system.
• Electrical Permit: Required for any installation, alteration, repair or extension of electrical work for light, heat, power and any other activity as required by the building official or electrical inspector. All electrical permits are issued by the State of Minnesota. For more questions, please call 763-205-5015.
Permits for new or existing structures will be issued to home owners who homestead the property or contractors licensed by the State of Minnesota. The exception to this rule is mechanical and plumbing work. In both new and existing structures, mechanical and plumbing permits will only be issued to contractors licensed by the City of Edina when the owner does not reside in the home.
Please contact the Building Inspections Division at 952-826-0372 for more specific information or with specific questions about your project.
The City of Edina uses electronic permit application submission and plan review processes.
Construction activities within the City of Edina are regulated by Edina City Code and the Minnesota State Building Code. Under these codes, it is the responsibility of the permit holder to schedule all required inspections, provide access to the area that must be inspected and provide a means for completion of the inspection.
Contact the building inspections division Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m. at 952-826-0372. Please have the permit number ready when calling.
The permit review timeline is dependent on several factors, including the number of permits under review at any given time and the completeness of those permit applications. We strive to meet the general rule of thumb of 5 to 10 business days for residential permits and 15 business days for commercial permits.
No. Beginning work without a permit is a violation of state law. The city will fine a property owner or contractor who begins work without first obtaining a permit.
There is a permit fee estimator located on our City website at:
Estimate Permit Fees
You can search for permits on a site address by going to:
Search for Permits